Aug 14, 2009
University of Cincinnati - Case Study
Hobart Warewasher Helps University of Cincinnati Recreation Center Reduce Process Water Consumption by 35% and Achieve LEED Certification:
Established in 1819, the University of Cincinnati is rated a top 25 public research university and ranks in the top 50 of all American research universities. It has an annual enrollment of approximately 35,000 students, making it one of the 100 largest universities in the country.
The University of Cincinnati is considered a pioneer in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification. Three of its buildings are LEED certified.
“The university is committed to providing its students and faculty with an efficient, productive and environmentally friendly atmosphere in which to learn and work. Hobart helped us accomplish that.”
Bob Marton, facilities and construction services project manager, the University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati planned to submit the Campus Recreation Center for LEED New Construction and Major Renovations certification. This certification is based on five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
In order to achieve the most certification credits, the university had to maximize water efficiency within the recreation center by using equipment that is more energy and water efficient than typically chosen equipment.
Objective: Reduce water usage by at least 20 percent in order to qualify for the innovation and design credit.
Hobart and Traulsen Products Involved:
- Hobart’s FT900 Dual-Rinse Flight-Type warewasher is engineered to reduce water use and energy consumption while maintaining all NSF standards for cleaning and sanitizing. The Opti-Rinse™ feature uses far less water but generates larger water droplets, resulting in more efficient heat transfer.
- ENERGY STAR® qualified Traulsen refrigerators and freezers reduce energy costs without sacrificing food safety.
- The University of Cincinnati purchased a Hobart FT900 warewasher, with the Opti-Rinse technology, for CenterCourt, the recreation center’s 390-seat residential restaurant.
- The university also installed low-flow pre-rinse spray valves and other water-conserving equipment such as ice machines, washing machines and drinking fountains/water coolers.
“The University of Cincinnati has really set itself apart from other educational institutions with regard to LEED-certified buildings.”
Michael Berning, director of sustainable design, Heapy Engineering LLP
- Total savings 515,000 gallons/year: Using energy-efficient equipment, the University of Cincinnati reduced its total water usage by more than 515,000 gallons a year.
- FT900 will save 400,000 gallons/year: The Hobart FT900 with Opti-Rinse alone saved the university 400,000 gallons of potable water per year.
- FT900 utility cost savings of $7,700/year: Using the Hobart FT900, the university saved $7,700 in annual water and energy costs per year.
- Carbon footprint reduction: The University of Cincinnati lessened the burden on wastewater systems and reduced its carbon footprint.
- Earned 29 LEED points: The recreation center achieved LEED certification with a total of 29 points, including an innovation and design credit for kitchen process equipment water use reduction.
- Reduced water usage by 35 percent: The university reduced water usage in the recreation center by 35 percent, far surpassing its goal of 20 percent.
- FT900 contributed to 76 percent of water savings: The FT900 warewasher contributed to 76 percent of the recreation center’s water reduction, or 27 percent of the univer-sity’s total water reduction.
Foodservice’s #1 supporter. Hobart, where equipment and service join together in support of you. Hobart makes a full line of equipment for the foodservice industry, including cooking, food machines, warewashers and Traulsen refrigeration. We support our customers when and where it counts the most. In the field, at your place. With nearly 200 locations and 1,700 factory-trained service representatives across the country, we’re always close by to install, maintain and service your equipment. If that’s the kind of support network you’ve been looking for, contact your Hobart representative today by calling 937-332-7143.
View PDF Version HERE