Aug 14, 2009
Providence Hospital - Case Study
Providence Hospital is the oldest continuously operating hospital in Washington, D.C. First established in 1861, it’s now a 400-bed hospital with long-term care and behavioral health rehabilitation facilities.
Foodservice at the hospital consists of a main cafeteria and a coffee bar as well as a café. There are also several resident dining rooms at the hospital’s long-term care facility.
The hospital was looking for a means to increase efficiency and reduce costs in its foodservice operation. They had scheduled several older pieces of foodservice equipment to be replaced, and management saw this as an opportune time to replace the equipment with more energy-efficient models.
“Hobart manufactures dependable products. We know they will get the job done.”
Objective: Replace existing foodservice equipment with Hobart equipment to improve performance and productivity, increase efficiency and reduce water and energy usage.
Hobart and Traulsen Products Involved:
- Hobart’s FT900 Dual-Rinse Flight-Type Warewasher is engineered to reduce water use and energy consumption while maintaining all NSF standards for cleaning and sanitizing. The warewasher’s Opti-Rinse™ feature uses 50 percent less water but generates larger water droplets, resulting in more efficient heat transfer.
- Hobart’s UW50 Utensil and Pan Washer is built to handle the toughest baked-on food soil and dirt in less time.
- Hobart’s WastPro™ Pulper compacts solid waste into a semi-dry pulp, reducing waste volume by up to 88 percent. It addresses pressing environmental and ecological con-cerns while dramatically reducing waste costs.
- Providence Hospital replaced its existing warewasher and pulper with Hobart alternatives.
- The hospital installed Hobart’s UW50 Utensil and Pan Washer to replace washing utensils and pans by hand.
“Just knowing we are using Hobart equipment provides me with a feeling of confidence—confidence that the equipment will last and perform when we need it. I can’t think of a higher compliment.”
Beth Yesford, director of food and nutrition at Providence Hospital
- Energy and cost saving: The hospital has significantly reduced its energy and water costs as a result of using more efficient equipment.
- Less environmental impact: Because the FT900 uses 50 percent less water, Providence Hospital uses fewer chemical agents than with its previous warewasher. This model reduced the amount of chemical agents entering the wastewater system.
- Less waste: Providence reduced waste by 80 percent. Prior to using the WastePro pulper, staff was discarding 10 to 12 bags of garbage per meal; now they discard two.
- Reduced labor: Providence has experienced a 33 percent saving in labor as a result of using the FT900 and UW50. Prior to using the Hobart equipment, Providence staff spent 12 hours a day cleaning dishes. Now it takes only eight hours.
- Improved productivity: Kitchen staff no longer must sort items on trays to determine what can be placed in the pulper and what must be thrown away. Now the entire tray contents are discarded into the pulper, and no time is spent sorting tray contents.
- Better performance and a more comfortable work environment: Because the FT900 is well insulated, less heat escapes into the dish room. This improves machine perfor-mance and makes the dish room a more comfortable work environment.
Foodservice’s #1 supporter. Hobart, where equipment and service join together in support of you. Hobart makes a full line of equipment for the foodservice industry, including cooking, food machines, warewashers and Traulsen refrigeration. We support our customers when and where it counts the most. In the field, at your place. With nearly 200 locations and 1,700 factory-trained service representatives across the country, we’re always close by to install, maintain and service your equipment. If that’s the kind of support network you’ve been looking for, contact your Hobart representative today by calling 937-332-7143.
View PDF Version HERE